Here’s a quick easy DIY powdered laundry detergent. This is quicker to make than the liquid laundry detergent recipe I’ve posted and takes up less storage space.
Powdered laundry detergent recipe:
- 1/2 bar – 50gms of soap (I use an unscented castile soap)
- 1/2 cup (125gms) baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (375gms) washing soda
- Essential oils
Grate the bar of soap finely.
Whizz it up with with baking soda and washing soda.
Add essential oils and store it in an old plastic container.
Give the electric whizzer a really good clean.
1/8 of a cup per load
- Label your container including usage instructions for husbands and guests. Make sure to keep it out of reach of children.
- Washing soda comes in different forms – a very powdered form won’t need an additional grinding in a mixer. Just hand mix the ingredients together.
- Different soaps will give a different result so adjust the amount used if necessary.
- The powdered laundry detergent is good in a warm or a hot wash but for a cold wash I prefer the liquid laundry detergent. We have a front loader – different washing machines may work well with either.
- Don’t forget to keep notes about when you made this and how long it lasted. For an average family you will probably want to make a bigger mix so it lasts you a decent amount of time. This amount will give you 20 odd washes so only a few weeks if you do a wash each day. You could easily take it to four or more times this amount.